Our Society for Sustainable Tourism – SST Sustainability Pledge
SST SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE
Committed to make tourism sustainable, and conforming that it is our responsibility as stakeholders in tourism to achieve sustainability and resilience, in these times of global warming and climate change, we pledge to embrace and espouse Sustainable Tourism.
We accept that in order to implement the best practices in economic, social and environmental responsibility, it is necessary to use a portfolio of tools, which will include regulations, incentives, and multi-stakeholder participatory strategies.
We undertake to work in concrete ways in our local host community to achieve better forms of tourism and to work with other stakeholders in destinations. We commit to build the capacity of all stakeholders in order to ensure that they can secure an effective voice in decision making.
We will espouse and execute the best practices for Sustainable Tourism which are identified:
Conserve the natural environment, ecosystems and biodiversity
- CONTRIBUTE to the conservation of any habitat of flora and fauna, affected by tourism
- ENCOURAGE relevant authorities to identify areas worthy of conservation and to determine the level of development, if any, which would be compatible in or adjacent to those areas
- INCLUDE enhancement and corrective actions at tourism sites to conserve wildlife and natural ecosystems.
Respect and support local traditions, cultures and communities
- ENSURE that community attitudes, local customs and cultural values, and the role of women and children, are understood in the planning and implementation of all tourism related projects
- PROVIDE opportunities for the wider community to take part in discussions on tourism planning issues where these affect the tourism industry and the community
- ENCOURAGE relevant authorities to identify cultural heritage worthy of conservation and to determine the level of development if any which would be compatible in or adjacent to those areas
- CONTRIBUTE to the identity and pride of local communities through providing quality tourism products and services sensitive to those communities.
Maintain environmental management systems
- ENSURE that environmental assessment is an integral step in planning for a tourism project
- ENCOURAGE regular environmental audits of practices throughout the tourism industry and to promote desirable changes to those practices
- ESTABLISH detailed environmental policies and indicators, and/or guidelines for the various sectors of the tourism industry
- INCORPORATE environmentally sensitive design and construction solutions in any building or landscaping for tourism purposes.
Conserve energy and reduce waste and pollutants
- FOSTER environmentally responsible practices for:
- reducing pollutants and greenhouse gases,
- conserving water and protecting water quality,
- managing efficiently waste and energy,
- controlling noise levels and
- promoting the use of recyclable and biodegradable materials.
Encourage a tourism commitment to environments and cultures
- ENCOURAGE those involved in tourism to comply with local, regional and national planning policies and to participate in the planning process
- FOSTER, in both management and staff of all tourism projects and activities, an awareness of environmental and cultural values
- ENCOURAGE all those who provide services to tourism enterprises to participate through environmentally and socially responsible actions
- SUPPORT environmental and cultural awareness through tourism marketing.
Educate and inform others about local environments and cultures
- SUPPORT the inclusion of environmental and cultural values in tourism education, training and planning
- ENHANCE the appreciation and understanding by tourists of natural environments and cultural sensitivities through the provision of accurate information and appropriate interpretation
- ENCOURAGE, and support research on the environmental and cultural impacts of tourism.
Cooperate with others to sustain environments and cultures
- COOPERATE with other individuals and organizations to advance environmental improvements and sustainable development practices, including establishing indicators and monitoring
- COMPLY with all international conventions and national, state and local laws which safeguard natural environments and cultural sensitivities.
We call upon tourism enterprises and trade associations from our suppliers and local host communities to commit to responsible practices. Corporate businesses can assist by providing markets, capacity building, mentoring and micro-financing support for small, medium and micro enterprises.
We call upon local authorities and tourism administrations to develop – through multi-stakeholder processes – destination management strategies and responsible tourism guidelines to create better places for host communities and the tourists who visit.
We call upon the media to exercise responsibility in the way in which they portray tourism destinations, to avoid raising false expectations and to provide balanced and fair reporting.
We commit ourselves to work with others to take responsibility for achieving the economic, social and environmental components of responsible and sustainable tourism
We all have a responsibility to make a difference by the way we act.
~ Society for Sustainable Tourism & Development Inc. members
Leave a comment