Welcome to your Information, Capacity Building & Learning Center. We offer consultancy services, learning, capacity building and bespoke sustainable development programs:
Learning and capacity building for host communities and cities to be a Green Destinations, with set of criteria to measure, monitor and improve the sustainability policy and management of destinations and regions. It makes sustainable development concrete, objective and demonstrable; covering the following themes: Destination Management, Nature & Scenery, Environment & Climate, Culture & Tradition, Social Well-Being, Business & Hospitality.
Green Destinations’ Core Values
Better and more sustainable places mean destinations adopting the following core values:
- Genuine and authentic: supporting the celebration of local culture and tradition.
- Responsible and respectful: defending people against exploitation, enhancing accessibility for people with disabilities, and preventing disruptive mass tourism (over tourism).
- Economically sustainable: involving the local business community and enhancing local community employment during and beyond the holiday season.
- Environment and Climate: ensuring environmental health and safety, and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Nature & scenery: protecting scenic views, habitats and wildlife, and respecting animals that are used in tourism.
Adopting these G.R.E.E.N. values help destinations enhance their quality, attractiveness and competitiveness. It will help attract green travelers, visitors who are respectful, and will spend more in the destination. These values are at the heart of our programs for destination improvement and certification.
Green Destinations works together with tourism business and media partners to make the green offer of destinations better visible in the marketplace.
Green Travel Guide & Green Destinations Collection
The aim of a Green Travel Guide is to promote an attractive and responsible holiday and leisure offer in selected destinations by:
- Encouraging businesses and governments to meet criteria that are aligned with the with Green Destinations’ G.R.E.E.N. values;
- Monitoring and verifying sustainability aspects through independent checks;
- Supporting the promotion of regions as green holiday destinations.
In addition to participation in our destination certification program, the Green Travel Guide offers local governments and their business sector a new tool to boost its development as a “Green Destination” and for a more coherent promotion of “sustainable attractions and companies “. Based on the first pilots we will evaluate the wider market potential of this tool among tour operators, travel agents, consumers.
What are the criteria?
The criteria of the Green Destinations Standard play a key role in the selection of all awards. The Standard makes sustainable development concrete, objective, and measurable. You can easily adapt your sustainability management system and implement actions according to the criteria, in order to obtain recognition of your efforts.
The standard is published here, and consists of 100 criteria, covering six main themes:
- Destination Management
- Nature, Animals & Scenery
- Environment & Climate
- Culture & Tradition
- Social Well-being
- Business & Hospitality.
The Standard is accompanied by a set of indicators and is compatible with ETIS, ISO 14001, EMAS and Global Reporting Initiative.
From Criteria to Awards
As a participant you provide indicator data and you summarize what is done to adhere with the criteria. After verification of this information leads to ratings for:
- Your sustainability profile: for each of the six main themes, our database calculates ratings by comparing your indicator data with those of other destinations. The average will be your Indicator Rating (from 1 to 10).
- Your adherence with the criteria, also for each of the six main themes, and the average for all criteria. This will be your Policy Rating (also from 1 to 10).
The overall average of Indicator Rating and Policy Rating determines your Award level:
- from 6/10: Bronze Award
- from 7/10: Silver Award
- from 8/10: Gold Award
- from 9/10: Platinum Award.
These are benchmark awards in the process towards destination certification.
Learn ways to “green” your next event. Book, learn or implement a Sustainable Events Management with CSR Workshop. Make your next Festival or Fiesta a green/eco-friendly event!
Corporate Social Responsible Programs
“You make a living by what you get, you make a life with what you give”
Support and communicate your corporate citizenship and concern in community & socially responsible initiatives.
Good Governance for Local Government Units (LGUs)
Effective sustainability planning, maximizing social and economic benefits for the local community; enhancing cultural heritage; and reducing negative impacts to the environment.
Assist in sustainable development and tourism facilitating tools for non-government/ non-profit organizations. Provide outsourcing and/or local partnership implementation arm for other NGOs, international organizations
Our Society for Sustainable Tourism & Development Inc.-SST offers Learning, Capacity Building, Educational programs, Green Solutions and Services for public stakeholders: Destinations – LGUs and host communities; Private stakeholders – Hotels, Resorts, Hospitality, Tour Operators and Businesses with Green Destinations, Global Leaders Program and Green Travel Guide platform to include Environmental Conservation and Compliance, Good Governance, Climate Resilience, to address global challenges of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): food security, poverty alleviation, environmental sustainability and climate resilience for the local host community. Water waste -STP (P.T. Amanaid Philippines) and Waste to Energy (W2E) solutions as well as other green destinations innovations are now offered to LGUs and tourism industry for law compliance.
For more information and assistance, contact us.